Friday, September 10, 2010

Loving Zip Car

On a whim, I decided to submit an application for Zip Car's Low-Car Diet. As I alluded to in a previous post, we've been laboring over our decision to sell our car, and I have been looking into whether or not Zip Car or a similar car service could work for a growing young family.

This is essentially what I said in my application. I think they liked it, because within a couple hours, I had an email saying that we were chosen as one of 25 people to take the Low-Car Diet and live car-free for a month, with the help of a free Zip Car membership!

It's really been weighing on me. If we can't live a car-free life, with BART 4 blocks away, bicycles at our fingertips, Trader Joe's within blocks, a great weekly neighborhood farmers market, who can?!? Maybe it's unrealistic to think that our planned cities are ready for a massive walking/biking population. But we've always prided ourselves on pushing boundaries and walking the talk. So, here's our chance.

Because there is a tremendous amount of coordination involved in building our house, I won't be able to avoid cars altogether. I will ride as a passenger when Andy drives a non-Zip Car, and I'll only use Zip Car when absolutely needed.

The kick-off for the Low-Car Diet is Tuesday, September 14 at noon at AT&T Park in SF. I'm under the impression that friends and family are invited, so if you want to join in the celebration, please come (and let me know if I should look for you there)! We'll get our brand new Zip Car membership in addition to a bunch of other goodies designed to help us in our car-free journey. This is gonna be great!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome, I'd like to know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike! I'll keep blogging about it and I'll let you know. How are you guys handling the transportation with two little ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I love the idea! I commend your efforts in saving the planet and just plain using your resources around you. Sounds like a fun little endeavor! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete